New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease.
2. Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
3. Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;
5. These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: "Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans.
8. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.
10. nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.
11. Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy, and stay there till you go out.
13. If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.
14. And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.
15. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!
16. Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.
17. But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues.
18. You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles.
19. But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak;
21. Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.
23. When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
25. It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household!
26. Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.
27. Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops.
28. And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
29. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will.
32. Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.
35. For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';
37. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
41. He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward. And he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.