New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Immediately, in the morning, the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes and the whole council; and they bound Jesus, led Him away, and delivered Him to Pilate.
2. Then Pilate asked Him, "Are You the King of the Jews?" He answered and said to him, "It is as you say."
4. Then Pilate asked Him again, saying, "Do You answer nothing? See how many things they testify against You!"
7. And there was one named Barabbas, who was chained with his fellow rebels; they had committed murder in the rebellion.
12. Pilate answered and said to them again, "What then do you want me to do with Him whom you call the King of the Jews?"
14. Then Pilate said to them, "Why, what evil has He done?" But they cried out all the more, "Crucify Him!"
15. So Pilate, wanting to gratify the crowd, released Barabbas to them; and he delivered Jesus, after he had scourged Him, to be crucified.
16. Then the soldiers led Him away into the hall called Praetorium, and they called together the whole garrison.
19. Then they struck Him on the head with a reed and spat on Him; and bowing the knee, they worshiped Him.
20. And when they had mocked Him, they took the purple off Him, put His own clothes on Him, and led Him out to crucify Him.
21. Then they compelled a certain man, Simon a Cyrenian, the father of Alexander and Rufus, as he was coming out of the country and passing by, to bear His cross.
24. And when they crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots for them to determine what every man should take.
29. And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads and saying, "Aha! You who destroy the temple and build it in three days,
31. Likewise the chief priests also, mocking among themselves with the scribes, said, "He saved others; Himself He cannot save.
32. Let the Christ, the King of Israel, descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe." Even those who were crucified with Him reviled Him.
34. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"
36. Then someone ran and filled a sponge full of sour wine, put it on a reed, and offered it to Him to drink, saying, "Let Him alone; let us see if Elijah will come to take Him down."
39. So when the centurion, who stood opposite Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, "Truly this Man was the Son of God!"
40. There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the Less and of Joses, and Salome,
41. who also followed Him and ministered to Him when He was in Galilee, and many other women who came up with Him to Jerusalem.
42. Now when evening had come, because it was the Preparation Day, that is, the day before the Sabbath,
43. Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent council member, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, coming and taking courage, went in to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus.
44. Pilate marveled that He was already dead; and summoning the centurion, he asked him if He had been dead for some time.
46. Then he bought fine linen, took Him down, and wrapped Him in the linen. And he laid Him in a tomb which had been hewn out of the rock, and rolled a stone against the door of the tomb.