New King James Version
Next Chapter >>>
12. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
14. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
15. John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.' "
18. No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
19. Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?"
21. And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."
22. Then they said to him, "Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?"
23. He said: "I am 'The voice of one crying in the wilderness: "Make straight the way of the Lord," ' as the prophet Isaiah said."
25. And they asked him, saying, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"
26. John answered them, saying, "I baptize with water, but there stands One among you whom you do not know.
27. It is He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose."
29. The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
30. This is He of whom I said, 'After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.'
31. I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water."
32. And John bore witness, saying, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him.
33. I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'
38. Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, "What do you seek?" They said to Him, "Rabbi" (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), "where are You staying?"
39. He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour).
41. He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which is translated, the Christ).
42. And he brought him to Jesus. Now when Jesus looked at him, He said, "You are Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas" (which is translated, A Stone).
43. The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him, "Follow Me."
45. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."
46. And Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see."
47. Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!"
48. Nathanael said to Him, "How do You know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."
49. Nathanael answered and said to Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!"
50. Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these."