New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Now when Rachel saw that she bore Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister, and said to Jacob, "Give me children, or else I die!"
2. And Jacob's anger was aroused against Rachel, and he said, "Am I in the place of God, who has withheld from you the fruit of the womb?"
3. So she said, "Here is my maid Bilhah; go in to her, and she will bear a child on my knees, that I also may have children by her."
6. Then Rachel said, "God has judged my case; and He has also heard my voice and given me a son." Therefore she called his name Dan.
8. Then Rachel said, "With great wrestlings I have wrestled with my sister, and indeed I have prevailed." So she called his name Naphtali.
9. When Leah saw that she had stopped bearing, she took Zilpah her maid and gave her to Jacob as wife.
13. Then Leah said, "I am happy, for the daughters will call me blessed." So she called his name Asher.
14. Now Reuben went in the days of wheat harvest and found mandrakes in the field, and brought them to his mother Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, "Please give me some of your son's mandrakes."
15. But she said to her, "Is it a small matter that you have taken away my husband? Would you take away my son's mandrakes also?" And Rachel said, "Therefore he will lie with you tonight for your son's mandrakes."
16. When Jacob came out of the field in the evening, Leah went out to meet him and said, "You must come in to me, for I have surely hired you with my son's mandrakes." And he lay with her that night.
18. Leah said, "God has given me my wages, because I have given my maid to my husband." So she called his name Issachar.
20. And Leah said, "God has endowed me with a good endowment; now my husband will dwell with me, because I have borne him six sons." So she called his name Zebulun.
25. And it came to pass, when Rachel had borne Joseph, that Jacob said to Laban, "Send me away, that I may go to my own place and to my country.
26. Give me my wives and my children for whom I have served you, and let me go; for you know my service which I have done for you."
27. And Laban said to him, "Please stay, if I have found favor in your eyes, for I have learned by experience that the Lord has blessed me for your sake."
30. For what you had before I came was little, and it has increased to a great amount; the Lord has blessed you since my coming. And now, when shall I also provide for my own house?"
31. So he said, "What shall I give you?" And Jacob said, "You shall not give me anything. If you will do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep your flocks
32. Let me pass through all your flock today, removing from there all the speckled and spotted sheep, and all the brown ones among the lambs, and the spotted and speckled among the goats; and these shall be my wages.
33. So my righteousness will answer for me in time to come, when the subject of my wages comes before you every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the lambs, will be considered stolen, if it is with me."
35. So he removed that day the male goats that were speckled and spotted, all the female goats that were speckled and spotted, every one that had some white in it, and all the brown ones among the lambs, and gave them into the hand of his sons.
36. Then he put three days' journey between himself and Jacob, and Jacob fed the rest of Laban's flocks.
37. Now Jacob took for himself rods of green poplar and of the almond and chestnut trees, peeled white strips in them, and exposed the white which was in the rods.
38. And the rods which he had peeled, he set before the flocks in the gutters, in the watering troughs where the flocks came to drink, so that they should conceive when they came to drink.
39. So the flocks conceived before the rods, and the flocks brought forth streaked, speckled, and spotted.
40. Then Jacob separated the lambs, and made the flocks face toward the streaked and all the brown in the flock of Laban; but he put his own flocks by themselves and did not put them with Laban's flock.
41. And it came to pass, whenever the stronger livestock conceived, that Jacob placed the rods before the eyes of the livestock in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods.
42. But when the flocks were feeble, he did not put them in; so the feebler were Laban's and the stronger Jacob's.