New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
2. Better to go to the house of mourning Than to go to the house of feasting, For that is the end of all men; And the living will take it to heart.
4. The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, But the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.
6. For like the crackling of thorns under a pot, So is the laughter of the fool. This also is vanity.
8. The end of a thing is better than its beginning; The patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
10. Do not say, "Why were the former days better than these?" For you do not inquire wisely concerning this.
12. For wisdom is a defense as money is a defense, But the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it.
14. In the day of prosperity be joyful, But in the day of adversity consider Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other, So that man can find out nothing that will come after him.
15. I have seen everything in my days of vanity There is a just man who perishes in his righteousness , And there is a wicked man who prolongs life in his wickedness .
18. It is good that you grasp this, And also not remove your hand from the other; For he who fears God will escape them all.
25. I applied my heart to know, To search and seek out wisdom and the reason of things, To know the wickedness of folly, Even of foolishness and madness .
26. And I find more bitter than death The woman whose heart is snares and nets, Whose hands are fetters. He who pleases God shall escape from her, But the sinner shall be trapped by her.
27. "Here is what I have found," says the Preacher, "Adding one thing to the other to find out the reason,
28. Which my soul still seeks but I cannot find One man among a thousand I have found, But a woman among all these I have not found.