New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Walk prudently when you go to the house of God; and draw near to hear rather than to give the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they do evil.
2. Do not be rash with your mouth, And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you on earth; Therefore let your words be few.
4. When you make a vow to God, do not delay to pay it; For He has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you have vowed--
6. Do not let your mouth cause your flesh to sin, nor say before the mess enger of God that it was an error. Why should God be angry at your excuse and destroy the work of your hands?
8. If you see the oppress ion of the poor, and the violent perversion of justice and righteousness in a province, do not marvel at the matter; for high official watches over high official, and higher officials are over them.
10. He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver; Nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity.
11. When goods increase, They increase who eat them; So what profit have the owners Except to see them with their eyes?
12. The sleep of a laboring man is sweet, Whether he eats little or much; But the abundance of the rich will not permit him to sleep.
15. As he came from his mother's womb, naked shall he return, To go as he came; And he shall take nothing from his labor Which he may carry away in his hand.
16. And this also is a severe evil-- Just exactly as he came, so shall he go. And what profit has he who has labored for the wind?
18. Here is what I have seen It is good and fitting for one to eat and drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which God gives him; for it is his heritage.
19. As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor--this is the gift of God.