New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Then I returned and considered all the oppress ion that is done under the sun And look! The tears of the oppress ed, But they have no comforter-- On the side of their oppress ors there is power, But they have no comforter.
3. Yet, better than both is he who has never existed, Who has not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.
4. Again, I saw that for all toil and every skillful work a man is envied by his neighbor. This also is vanity and grasping for the wind.
6. Better a handful with quietness Than both hands full, together with toil and grasping for the wind.
8. There is one alone, without companion He has neither son nor brother. Yet there is no end to all his labors, Nor is his eye satisfied with riches. But he never asks, "For whom do I toil and deprive myself of good?" This also is vanity and a grave misfortune.
10. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up.
12. Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
15. I saw all the living who walk under the sun; They were with the second youth who stands in his place.