New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Hear this word that the Lord has spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up from the land of Egypt, saying:
2. You only have I known of all the families of the earth; Therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities."
4. Will a lion roar in the forest, when he has no prey? Will a young lion cry out of his den, if he has caught nothing?
5. Will a bird fall into a snare on the earth, where there is no trap for it? Will a snare spring up from the earth, if it has caught nothing at all?
6. If a trumpet is blown in a city, will not the people be afraid? If there is calamity in a city, will not the Lord have done it?
9. Proclaim in the palaces at Ashdod, And in the palaces in the land of Egypt, and say: 'Assemble on the mountains of Samaria; See great tumults in her midst, And the oppressed within her.
10. For they do not know to do right,' Says the Lord, 'Who store up violence and robbery in their palaces.' "
11. Therefore thus says the Lord God: "An adversary shall be all around the land; He shall sap your strength from you, And your palaces shall be plundered."
12. Thus says the Lord: "As a shepherd takes from the mouth of a lion Two legs or a piece of an ear, So shall the children of Israel be taken out Who dwell in Samaria-- In the corner of a bed and on the edge of a couch!
14. That in the day I punish Israel for their transgressions, I will also visit destruction on the altars of Bethel; And the horns of the altar shall be cut off And fall to the ground.