New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. So all Israel was recorded by genealogies, and indeed, they were inscribed in the book of the kings of Israel. But Judah was carried away captive to Babylon because of their unfaithfulness.
2. And the first inhabitants who dwelt in their possessions in their cities were Israelites, priests, Levites, and the Nethinim.
3. Now in Jerusalem the children of Judah dwelt, and some of the children of Benjamin, and of the children of Ephraim and Manasseh
4. Uthai the son of Ammihud, the son of Omri, the son of Imri, the son of Bani, of the descendants of Perez, the son of Judah.
8. Ibneiah the son of Jeroham; Elah the son of Uzzi, the son of Michri; Meshullam the son of Shephatiah, the son of Reuel, the son of Ibnijah;
9. and their brethren, according to their generations--nine hundred and fifty-six. All these men were heads of a father's house in their fathers' houses.
11. Azariah the son of Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Meraioth, the son of Ahitub, the officer over the house of God;
12. Adaiah the son of Jeroham, the son of Pashur, the son of Malchijah; Maasai the son of Adiel, the son of Jahzerah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Meshillemith, the son of Immer;
13. and their brethren, heads of their fathers' houses--one thousand seven hundred and sixty. They were very able men for the work of the service of the house of God.
14. Of the Levites Shemaiah the son of Hasshub, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah, of the sons of Merari;
16. Obadiah the son of Shemaiah, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun; and Berechiah the son of Asa, the son of Elkanah, who lived in the villages of the Netophathites.
17. And the gatekeepers were Shallum, Akkub, Talmon, Ahiman, and their brethren. Shallum was the chief.
18. Until then they had been gatekeepers for the camps of the children of Levi at the King's Gate on the east.
19. Shallum the son of Kore, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, and his brethren, from his father's house, the Korahites, were in charge of the work of the service, gatekeepers of the tabernacle. Their fathers had been keepers of the entrance to the camp of the Lord.
20. And Phinehas the son of Eleazar had been the officer over them in time past; the Lord was with him.
22. All those chosen as gatekeepers were two hundred and twelve. They were recorded by their genealogy, in their villages. David and Samuel the seer had appointed them to their trusted office.
23. So they and their children were in charge of the gates of the house of the Lord, the house of the tabernacle, by assignment.
26. For in this trusted office were four chief gatekeepers; they were Levites. And they had charge over the chambers and treasuries of the house of God.
27. And they lodged all around the house of God because they had the responsibility, and they were in charge of opening it every morning.
28. Now some of them were in charge of the serving vessels, for they brought them in and took them out by count.
29. Some of them were appointed over the furnishings and over all the implements of the sanctuary, and over the fine flour and the wine and the oil and the incense and the spices.
31. Mattithiah of the Levites, the firstborn of Shallum the Korahite, had the trusted office over the things that were baked in the pans.
32. And some of their brethren of the sons of the Kohathites were in charge of preparing the showbread for every Sabbath.
33. These are the singers, heads of the fathers' houses of the Levites, who lodged in the chambers, and were free from other duties; for they were employed in that work day and night.
34. These heads of the fathers' houses of the Levites were heads throughout their generations. They dwelt at Jerusalem.
38. And Mikloth begot Shimeam. They also dwelt alongside their relatives in Jerusalem, with their brethren.