New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
2. And David said to all the assembly of Israel, "If it seems good to you, and if it is of the Lord our God, let us send out to our brethren everywhere who are left in all the land of Israel, and with them to the priests and Levites who are in their cities and their common-lands, that they may gather together to us;
3. and let us bring the ark of our God back to us, for we have not inquired at it since the days of Saul."
4. Then all the assembly said that they would do so, for the thing was right in the eyes of all the people.
5. So David gathered all Israel together, from Shihor in Egypt to as far as the entrance of Hamath, to bring the ark of God from Kirjath Jearim.
6. And David and all Israel went up to Baalah, to Kirjath Jearim, which belonged to Judah, to bring up from there the ark of God the Lord, who dwells between the cherubim, where His name is proclaimed.
7. So they carried the ark of God on a new cart from the house of Abinadab, and Uzza and Ahio drove the cart.
8. Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.
9. And when they came to Chidon's threshing floor, Uzza put out his hand to hold the ark, for the oxen stumbled.
10. Then the anger of the Lord was aroused against Uzza, and He struck him because he put his hand to the ark; and he died there before God.
11. And David became angry because of the Lord's outbreak against Uzza; therefore that place is called Perez Uzza to this day.
13. So David would not move the ark with him into the City of David, but took it aside into the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite.