New King James Version
Next Chapter >>>
1. Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness,
3. but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior;
4. To Titus, a true son in our common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior.
5. For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you--
6. if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination.
7. For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,
9. holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.
10. For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,
11. whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole households, teaching things which they ought not, for the sake of dishonest gain.
12. One of them, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
15. To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.