New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter
1. Oh, that you were like my brother, Who nursed at my mother's breasts! If I should find you outside, I would kiss you; I would not be despised.
2. I would lead you and bring you Into the house of my mother, She who used to instruct me. I would cause you to drink of spiced wine, Of the juice of my pomegranate.
5. A Relative Who is this coming up from the wilderness, Leaning upon her beloved? I awakened you under the apple tree. There your mother brought you forth; There she who bore you brought you forth.
6. The Shulamite to Her Beloved Set me as a seal upon your heart, As a seal upon your arm; For love is as strong as death, Jealousy as cruel as the grave; Its flames are flames of fire, A most vehement flame.
7. Many waters cannot quench love, Nor can the floods drown it. If a man would give for love All the wealth of his house, It would be utterly despised.
8. The Shulamite's Brothers We have a little sister, And she has no breasts. What shall we do for our sister In the day when she is spoken for?
9. If she is a wall, We will build upon her A battlement of silver; And if she is a door, We will enclose her With boards of cedar.
10. The Shulamite I am a wall, And my breasts like towers; Then I became in his eyes As one who found peace.
11. Solomon had a vineyard at Baal Hamon; He leased the vineyard to keepers; Everyone was to bring for its fruit A thousand silver coins.
12. (To Solomon) My own vineyard is before me. You, O Solomon, may have a thousand, And those who tend its fruit two hundred.
13. The Beloved You who dwell in the gardens, The companions listen for your voice-- Let me hear it!