New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. A Contemplation of Asaph. Give ear, O my people, to my law; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
4. We will not hide them from their children, Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
5. For He established a testimony in Jacob, And appointed a law in Israel, Which He commanded our fathers, That they should make them known to their children;
6. That the generation to come might know them, The children who would be born, That they may arise and declare them to their children,
8. And may not be like their fathers, A stubborn and rebellious generation, A generation that did not set its heart aright, And whose spirit was not faithful to God.
12. Marvelous things He did in the sight of their fathers, In the land of Egypt, in the field of Zoan.
13. He divided the sea and caused them to pass through; And He made the waters stand up like a heap.
20. Behold, He struck the rock, So that the waters gushed out, And the streams overflowed. Can He give bread also? Can He provide meat for His people?"
21. Therefore the Lord heard this and was furious; So a fire was kindled against Jacob, And anger also came up against Israel,
31. The wrath of God came against them, And slew the stoutest of them, And struck down the choice men of Israel.
38. But He, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, And did not destroy them. Yes, many a time He turned His anger away, And did not stir up all His wrath;
49. He cast on them the fierceness of His anger, Wrath, indignation, and trouble, By sending angels of destruction among them.
50. He made a path for His anger; He did not spare their soul from death, But gave their life over to the plague,
55. He also drove out the nations before them, Allotted them an inheritance by survey, And made the tribes of Israel dwell in their tents.
57. But turned back and acted unfaithfully like their fathers; They were turned aside like a deceitful bow.
58. For they provoked Him to anger with their high places, And moved Him to jealousy with their carved images.
71. From following the ewes that had young He brought him, To shepherd Jacob His people, And Israel His inheritance.