New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
2. Take vengeance on the Midianites for the children of Israel. Afterward you shall be gathered to your people."
3. So Moses spoke to the people, saying, "Arm some of yourselves for war, and let them go against the Midianites to take vengeance for the Lord on Midian.
5. So there were recruited from the divisions of Israel one thousand from each tribe, twelve thousand armed for war.
6. Then Moses sent them to the war, one thousand from each tribe; he sent them to the war with Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, with the holy articles and the signal trumpets in his hand.
7. And they warred against the Midianites, just as the Lord commanded Moses, and they killed all the males.
8. They killed the kings of Midian with the rest of those who were killed--Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba, the five kings of Midian. Balaam the son of Beor they also killed with the sword.
9. And the children of Israel took the women of Midian captive, with their little ones, and took as spoil all their cattle, all their flocks, and all their goods.
12. Then they brought the captives, the booty, and the spoil to Moses, to Eleazar the priest, and to the congregation of the children of Israel, to the camp in the plains of Moab by the Jordan, across from Jericho.
13. And Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the congregation, went to meet them outside the camp.
14. But Moses was angry with the officers of the army, with the captains over thousands and captains over hundreds, who had come from the battle.
16. Look, these women caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the Lord in the incident of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord.
17. Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known a man intimately.
19. And as for you, remain outside the camp seven days; whoever has killed any person, and whoever has touched any slain, purify yourselves and your captives on the third day and on the seventh day.
20. Purify every garment, everything made of leather, everything woven of goats' hair, and everything made of wood."
21. Then Eleazar the priest said to the men of war who had gone to the battle, "This is the ordinance of the law which the Lord commanded Moses
23. everything that can endure fire, you shall put through the fire, and it shall be clean; and it shall be purified with the water of purification. But all that cannot endure fire you shall put through water.
24. And you shall wash your clothes on the seventh day and be clean, and afterward you may come into the camp."
26. Count up the plunder that was taken--of man and beast--you and Eleazar the priest and the chief fathers of the congregation;
27. and divide the plunder into two parts, between those who took part in the war, who went out to battle, and all the congregation.
28. And levy a tribute for the Lord on the men of war who went out to battle one of every five hundred of the persons, the cattle, the donkeys, and the sheep;
30. And from the children of Israel's half you shall take one of every fifty, drawn from the persons, the cattle, the donkeys, and the sheep, from all the livestock, and give them to the Levites who keep charge of the tabernacle of the Lord."
32. The booty remaining from the plunder, which the men of war had taken, was six hundred and seventy-five thousand sheep,
36. And the half, the portion for those who had gone out to war, was in number three hundred and thirty-seven thousand five hundred sheep;
41. So Moses gave the tribute which was the Lord's heave offering to Eleazar the priest, as the Lord commanded Moses.
43. now the half belonging to the congregation was three hundred and thirty-seven thousand five hundred sheep,
47. and from the children of Israel's half Moses took one of every fifty, drawn from man and beast, and gave them to the Levites, who kept charge of the tabernacle of the Lord, as the Lord commanded Moses.
48. Then the officers who were over thousands of the army, the captains of thousands and captains of hundreds, came near to Moses;
49. and they said to Moses, "Your servants have taken a count of the men of war who are under our command, and not a man of us is missing.
50. Therefore we have brought an offering for the Lord, what every man found of ornaments of gold armlets and bracelets and signet rings and earrings and necklaces, to make atonement for ourselves before the Lord."
52. And all the gold of the offering that they offered to the Lord, from the captains of thousands and captains of hundreds, was sixteen thousand seven hundred and fifty shekels.