New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Then the children of Israel, the whole congregation, came into the Wilderness of Zin in the first month, and the people stayed in Kadesh; and Miriam died there and was buried there.
3. And the people contended with Moses and spoke, saying "If only we had died when our brethren died before the Lord!
4. Why have you brought up the assembly of the Lord into this wilderness, that we and our animals should die here?
5. And why have you made us come up out of Egypt, to bring us to this evil place? It is not a place of grain or figs or vines or pomegranates; nor is there any water to drink."
6. So Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly to the door of the tabernacle of meeting, and they fell on their faces. And the glory of the Lord appeared to them.
8. Take the rod; you and your brother Aaron gather the congregation together. Speak to the rock before their eyes, and it will yield its water; thus you shall bring water for them out of the rock, and give drink to the congregation and their animals."
10. And Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock; and he said to them, "Hear now, you rebels! Must we bring water for you out of this rock?"
11. Then Moses lifted his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod; and water came out abundantly, and the congregation and their animals drank.
12. Then the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, "Because you did not believe Me, to hallow Me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them."
13. This was the water of Meribah, because the children of Israel contended with the Lord, and He was hallowed among them.
15. how our fathers went down to Egypt, and we dwelt in Egypt a long time, and the Egyptians afflicted us and our fathers.
16. When we cried out to the Lord, He heard our voice and sent the Angel and brought us up out of Egypt; now here we are in Kadesh, a city on the edge of your border.
17. Please let us pass through your country. We will not pass through fields or vineyards, nor will we drink water from wells; we will go along the King's Highway; we will not turn aside to the right hand or to the left until we have passed through your territory.' "
18. Then Edom said to him, "You shall not pass through my land, lest I come out against you with the sword."
19. So the children of Israel said to him, "We will go by the Highway, and if I or my livestock drink any of your water, then I will pay for it; let me only pass through on foot, nothing more."
20. Then he said, "You shall not pass through." So Edom came out against them with many men and with a strong hand.
22. Then the children of Israel, the whole congregation, journeyed from Kadesh and came to Mount Hor.
24. Aaron shall be gathered to his people, for he shall not enter the land which I have given to the children of Israel, because you rebelled against My word at the water of Meribah.
26. and strip Aaron of his garments and put them on Eleazar his son; for Aaron shall be gathered to his people and die there."
27. So Moses did just as the Lord commanded, and they went up to Mount Hor in the sight of all the congregation.
28. Moses stripped Aaron of his garments and put them on Eleazar his son; and Aaron died there on the top of the mountain. Then Moses and Eleazar came down from the mountain.