King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Now it came to pass, when the wall was built, and I had set up the doors, and the porters and the singers and Levites were appointed,
2. That I gave my brother Hanani, and Hananiah the ruler of the palace, charge over Jerusalem: for he was a faithful man, and feared God above many.
3. And I said unto them, Let not the gates of Jerusalem be opened until the sun be hot; and while they stand by, let them shut the doors, and bar them: and appoint watches of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, every one in his watch, and every one to be over against his house.
4. Now the city was large and great: but the people were few therein, and the houses were not builded.
5. And my God put into mine heart to gather together the nobles, and the rulers, and the people, that they might be reckoned by genealogy. And I found a register of the genealogy of them which came up at the first, and found written therein,
6. These are the children of the province, that went up out of the captivity, of those that had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away, and came again to Jerusalem and to Judah, every one unto his city;
7. Who came with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Azariah, Raamiah, Nahamani, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispereth, Bigvai, Nehum, Baanah. The number, I say, of the men of the people of Israel was this;
11. The children of Pahathmoab, of the children of Jeshua and Joab, two thousand and eight hundred and eighteen.
43. The Levites: the children of Jeshua, of Kadmiel, and of the children of Hodevah, seventy and four.
45. The porters: the children of Shallum, the children of Ater, the children of Talmon, the children of Akkub, the children of Hatita, the children of Shobai, an hundred thirty and eight.
57. The children of Solomon's servants: the children of Sotai, the children of Sophereth, the children of Perida,
59. The children of Shephatiah, the children of Hattil, the children of Pochereth of Zebaim, the children of Amon.
61. And these were they which went up also from Telmelah, Telharesha, cherub, Addon, and Immer: but they could not shew their father's house, nor their seed, whether they were of Israel.
62. The children of Delaiah, the children of Tobiah, the children of Nekoda, six hundred forty and two.
63. And of the priests: the children of Habaiah, the children of Koz, the children of Barzillai, which took one of the daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite to wife, and was called after their name.
64. These sought their register among those that were reckoned by genealogy, but it was not found: therefore were they, as polluted, put from the priesthood.
65. And the Tirshatha said unto them, that they should not eat of the most holy things, till there stood up a priest with Urim and Thummim.
67. Beside their manservants and their maidservants, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and they had two hundred forty and five singing men and singing women.
70. And some of the chief of the fathers gave unto the work. The Tirshatha gave to the treasure a thousand drams of gold, fifty basons, five hundred and thirty priests' garments.
71. And some of the chief of the fathers gave to the treasure of the work twenty thousand drams of gold, and two thousand and two hundred pound of silver.
72. And that which the rest of the people gave was twenty thousand drams of gold, and two thousand pound of silver, and threescore and seven priests' garments.