New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
2. and said to his servants, "This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him."
3. For Herod had laid hold of John and bound him, and put him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife.
5. And although he wanted to put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.
6. But when Herod's birthday was celebrated, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod.
8. So she, having been prompted by her mother, said, "Give me John the Baptist's head here on a platter."
9. And the king was sorry; nevertheless, because of the oaths and because of those who sat with him, he commanded it to be given to her.
13. When Jesus heard it, He departed from there by boat to a deserted place by Himself. But when the multitudes heard it, they followed Him on foot from the cities.
14. And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick.
15. When it was evening, His disciples came to Him, saying, "This is a deserted place, and the hour is already late. Send the multitudes away, that they may go into the villages and buy themselves food."
19. Then He commanded the multitudes to sit down on the grass. And He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, He blessed and broke and gave the loaves to the disciples; and the disciples gave to the multitudes.
20. So they all ate and were filled, and they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments that remained.
22. Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away.
23. And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there.
26. And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.
29. So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.
30. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"
31. And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"
35. And when the men of that place recognized Him, they sent out into all that surrounding region, brought to Him all who were sick,