New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
3. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, 'Get justice for me from my adversary.'
4. And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, 'Though I do not fear God nor regard man,
5. yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.' "
7. And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them?
8. I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"
9. Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
11. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.
13. And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'
14. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
15. Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them; but when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them.
16. But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.
17. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."
20. You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery,' 'Do not murder,' 'Do not steal,' 'Do not bear false witness,' 'Honor your father and your mother.' "
22. So when Jesus heard these things, He said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
24. And when Jesus saw that he became very sorrowful, He said, "How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!
25. For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
29. So He said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or parents or brothers or wife or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God,
30. who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life."
31. Then He took the twelve aside and said to them, "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of Man will be accomplished.
34. But they understood none of these things; this saying was hidden from them, and they did not know the things which were spoken.
35. Then it happened, as He was coming near Jericho, that a certain blind man sat by the road begging.
39. Then those who went before warned him that he should be quiet; but he cried out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"
40. So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be brought to Him. And when he had come near, He asked him,