New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
2. Speak to the children of Israel, saying, 'These are the animals which you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth
3. Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves and chewing the cud--that you may eat.
4. Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you;
7. and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.
9. 'These you may eat of all that are in the water whatever in the water has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers--that you may eat.
10. But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you.
11. They shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh, but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination.
13. 'And these you shall regard as an abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination the eagle, the vulture, the buzzard,
21. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth.
22. These you may eat the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind.
24. 'By these you shall become unclean; whoever touches the carcass of any of them shall be unclean until evening;
25. whoever carries part of the carcass of any of them shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening
26. The carcass of any animal which divides the foot, but is not cloven-hoofed or does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. Everyone who touches it shall be unclean.
27. And whatever goes on its paws, among all kinds of animals that go on all fours, those are unclean to you. Whoever touches any such carcass shall be unclean until evening.
28. Whoever carries any such carcass shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening. It is unclean to you.
29. 'These also shall be unclean to you among the creeping things that creep on the earth the mole, the mouse, and the large lizard after its kind;
31. These are unclean to you among all that creep. Whoever touches them when they are dead shall be unclean until evening.
33. Any earthen vessel into which any of them falls you shall break; and whatever is in it shall be unclean
34. in such a vessel, any edible food upon which water falls becomes unclean, and any drink that may be drunk from it becomes unclean.
35. And everything on which a part of any such carcass falls shall be unclean; whether it is an oven or cooking stove, it shall be broken down; for they are unclean, and shall be unclean to you.
36. Nevertheless a spring or a cistern, in which there is plenty of water, shall be clean, but whatever touches any such carcass becomes unclean.
37. And if a part of any such carcass falls on any planting seed which is to be sown, it remains clean.
38. But if water is put on the seed, and if a part of any such carcass falls on it, it becomes unclean to you.
39. 'And if any animal which you may eat dies, he who touches its carcass shall be unclean until evening.
40. He who eats of its carcass shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening. He also who carries its carcass shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening.
41. 'And every creeping thing that creeps on the earth shall be an abomination. It shall not be eaten.
42. Whatever crawls on its belly, whatever goes on all fours, or whatever has many feet among all creeping things that creep on the earth--these you shall not eat, for they are an abomination.
43. You shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creeps; nor shall you make yourselves unclean with them, lest you be defiled by them.
44. For I am the Lord your God. You shall therefore consecrate yourselves, and you shall be holy; for I am holy. Neither shall you defile yourselves with any creeping thing that creeps on the earth.
45. For I am the Lord who brings you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God. You shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.
46. 'This is the law of the animals and the birds and every living creature that moves in the waters, and of every creature that creeps on the earth,