New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
2. Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches.
3. In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water.
4. For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.
6. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, "Do you want to be made well?"
7. The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me."
9. And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked. And that day was the Sabbath.
10. The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, "It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed."
13. But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place.
14. Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, "See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you."
16. For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath.
18. Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
19. Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
20. For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel.
21. For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.
23. that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
24. Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
25. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
28. Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29. and come forth--those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.
30. I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.
32. There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true.
36. But I have a greater witness than John's; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish--the very works that I do--bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.
37. And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.
39. You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
43. I have come in My Father's name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
44. How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God?
45. Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you--Moses, in whom you trust.