New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.
2. And supper being ended, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray Him,
3. Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God,
5. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
7. Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this."
8. Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
10. Jesus said to him, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
12. So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?
14. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
16. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
18. I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, 'He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.'
20. Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me."
21. When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me."
26. Jesus answered, "It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it." And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
27. Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him. Then Jesus said to him, "What you do, do quickly."
29. For some thought, because Judas had the money box, that Jesus had said to him, "Buy those things we need for the feast," or that he should give something to the poor.
31. So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him.
33. Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, 'Where I am going, you cannot come,' so now I say to you.
34. A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
36. Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, where are You going?" Jesus answered him, "Where I am going you cannot follow Me now, but you shall follow Me afterward."