New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
2. of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
4. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,
6. if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
7. For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God;
8. but if it bears thorns and briars, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.
9. But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner.
10. For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
11. And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end,
12. that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
13. For when God made a promise to Abraham, because He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself,
16. For men indeed swear by the greater, and an oath for confirmation is for them an end of all dispute.
17. Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath,
18. that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.
19. This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil,