New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Then Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that he had, and Lot with him, to the South.
3. And he went on his journey from the South as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai,
4. to the place of the altar which he had made there at first. And there Abram called on the name of the Lord.
6. Now the land was not able to support them, that they might dwell together, for their possessions were so great that they could not dwell together.
7. And there was strife between the herdsmen of Abram's livestock and the herdsmen of Lot's livestock. The Canaanites and the Perizzites then dwelt in the land.
8. So Abram said to Lot, "Please let there be no strife between you and me, and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen; for we are brethren.
9. Is not the whole land before you? Please separate from me. If you take the left, then I will go to the right; or, if you go to the right, then I will go to the left."
10. And Lot lifted his eyes and saw all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered everywhere (before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah) like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt as you go toward Zoar.
11. Then Lot chose for himself all the plain of Jordan, and Lot journeyed east. And they separated from each other.
12. Abram dwelt in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelt in the cities of the plain and pitched his tent even as far as Sodom.
14. And the Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him "Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are--northward, southward, eastward, and westward;
16. And I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if a man could number the dust of the earth, then your descendants also could be numbered.