New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
1. Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the Lord your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess,
2. that you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged.
3. Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it, that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the Lord God of your fathers has promised you--'a land flowing with milk and honey.'
5. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
7. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.
10. So it shall be, when the Lord your God brings you into the land of which He swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give you large and beautiful cities which you did not build,
11. houses full of all good things, which you did not fill, hewn-out wells which you did not dig, vineyards and olive trees which you did not plant--when you have eaten and are full--
12. then beware, lest you forget the Lord who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
15. (for the Lord your God is a jealous God among you), lest the anger of the Lord your God be aroused against you and destroy you from the face of the earth.
17. You shall diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, His testimonies, and His statutes which He has commanded you.
18. And you shall do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord, that it may be well with you, and that you may go in and possess the good land of which the Lord swore to your fathers,
20. When your son asks you in time to come, saying, 'What is the meaning of the testimonies, the statutes, and the judgments which the Lord our God has commanded you?'
21. then you shall say to your son 'We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, and the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand;
22. and the Lord showed signs and wonders before our eyes, great and severe, against Egypt, Pharaoh, and all his household.
23. Then He brought us out from there, that He might bring us in, to give us the land of which He swore to our fathers.
24. And the Lord commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the Lord our God, for our good always, that He might preserve us alive, as it is this day.