New King James Version
<<< Previous Chapter ................................. Next Chapter >>>
3. Now the Levites were numbered from the age of thirty years and above; and the number of individual males was thirty-eight thousand.
4. Of these, twenty-four thousand were to look after the work of the house of the Lord, six thousand were officers and judges,
5. four thousand were gatekeepers, and four thousand praised the Lord with musical instruments, "which I made," said David, "for giving praise."
9. The sons of Shimei Shelomith, Haziel, and Haran--three in all. These were the heads of the fathers' houses of Laadan.
11. Jahath was the first and Zizah the second. But Jeush and Beriah did not have many sons; therefore they were assigned as one father's house.
13. The sons of Amram Aaron and Moses; and Aaron was set apart, he and his sons forever, that he should sanctify the most holy things, to burn incense before the Lord, to minister to Him, and to give the blessing in His name forever.
17. Of the descendants of Eliezer, Rehabiah was the first. And Eliezer had no other sons, but the sons of Rehabiah were very many.
19. Of the sons of Hebron, Jeriah was the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth.
22. And Eleazar died, and had no sons, but only daughters; and their brethren, the sons of Kish, took them as wives.
24. These were the sons of Levi by their fathers' houses--the heads of the fathers' houses as they were counted individually by the number of their names, who did the work for the service of the house of the Lord, from the age of twenty years and above.
25. For David said, "The Lord God of Israel has given rest to His people, that they may dwell in Jerusalem forever";
26. and also to the Levites, "They shall no longer carry the tabernacle, or any of the articles for its service."
28. because their duty was to help the sons of Aaron in the service of the house of the Lord, in the courts and in the chambers, in the purifying of all holy things and the work of the service of the house of God,
29. both with the showbread and the fine flour for the grain offering, with the unleavened cakes and what is baked in the pan, with what is mixed and with all kinds of measures and sizes;
31. and at every presentation of a burnt offering to the Lord on the Sabbaths and on the New Moons and on the set feasts, by number according to the ordinance governing them, regularly before the Lord;